Saturday, October 24, 2009

Progress





Prokofiev                                        Van Zweden
Last night, my sister Judy and I enjoyed Prokofiev's Romeo and Juliet with Jaap van Zweden and the Dallas Symphony Orchestra. I've always liked this composer, especially as a child: Peter and the Wolf was my introduction to the instruments of the orchestra. After the fabulous performance, we got to meet Jaap in person and thank him for his commitment to stay with us in Dallas for another five years.  He's an incredible conductor!

A dear friend is going through the final stages of the divorce process.  And it sucks. It just does. But time can heal. Just for a laugh consider: My divorce papers arrived in the mail on Valentine's Day when my son was a year and a half old. I can laugh now, but at the time I just drank.

And now, decades later, I've got enough perspective to see that what at the time was the worst thing that had ever happened to me, became a catalyst that (18 months later) moved me into a new and much better, saner life. I was eventually able to face my drinking problem and start to get some help for my son and myself. 

Since June, I've been committed to tackling another problem: lack of activity / weight.  I am loving hot yoga, climbing stairs and hiking at the lake, and maintaining a pretty steady relationship with Jenny Craig.  The result is 30 lbs later I've lost 26.5 inches! So it's possible that this "too too solid flesh would melt."  

The phrase that keeps popping into my head this week..."Don't quit before the miracle happens!" and it happens every day...

Peace, love and Prokofiev!

No comments:

Post a Comment